Blogging About Critters Since 2007

Friday, December 14, 2007

Taiwan Passes Tougher Law on Animal Abuse

Taiwan has overhauled the Animal Protection Act to toughen penalties for animal abuse. I'm glad they've finally done it. I had read a bit in the past that this was in the works.

According to the amendment, anyone who abuses or causes serious harm to animals or kills a dog or cat may be fined between NT$100,000 and NT$500,000 -- double the fine before the bill was passed. Photographs and names of violators may be published as part of the punishment.

Ah, nothing like a little shame. I think that will actually be pretty good deterrent (as will the monetary penalties). But, they still have a ways to go. There are a lot of other provisions outlined in the full Taipei Times article.

Photo by Jimg944

1 comment:

Monie said...

I am so proud of Taiwan passing a tougher law to protect animals from animal abuse. You guys rock!!! Now we need to get China, Korea, and Vietnam to do the same. I have faith that Asia will do the right thing. All we have to do is keep pleading with their governments. I will do all I can to help end the abuses in Asia, by campaigning and getting involved with others in the fight against animal cruelty. I AM SO PROUD OF TIAWAN!!! I applaud your country for this big step. AWESOME!!!!

blog stats