Blogging About Critters Since 2007

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

An Argument Against Zoos

Here is an interesting article in Newsweek by Rabbi Marc Gelman that zoos aren't such a good thing.

From the article:

My grandpa, Leo Gellman, was a zookeeper at the Milwaukee zoo. My childhood was filled with happy days feeding giraffes and monkeys. I wanted to feed Sampson the gorilla and Tony and Cleo the hippopotamuses, but Grandpa Lepa never let me get close to them. He loved animals, but he also understood what it means to be wild. He would patiently explain to me that they did not want to be in their cages but that we put them there so that little boys like me could see up close what they look like, how they move and what sounds they make. Grandpa explained to me that this was a deal we humans made with the wild animals of the world. We capture and display some of them so that people would feel something for them and protect the wild animals that were not in cages. I asked grandpa if he thought the deal was fair. He thought and said, “It's a good deal for us, and not such a good deal for them.” I still think grandpa was right.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zoos have more reasons than just that. They conserve wildlife and try to prevent extinction by breeding endangered animals. Besides, less than 1 percent of animals taken from the wild go to zoos.

Anonymous said...

excuse me but i totally desagree with you because zoos are suppose to help animals!

mrbarky said...

It depends on the zoo. Just because I post something doesn't always mean I agree with it. I think it's good to read this stuff though to get people thinking.

Anonymous said...

zoos have good and bad points but on the lines of keeping the animals wild; they have the right idea.
Siome zoos such as Chester Zoo care for their animals but you cannot deny that zoos are bad in some ways.
keeping animals in captivity is wrong even if it is for protection.
ban the zoos but keep safari parks like the Highland National Country Park where you may keep animals on the red list but they are closer to the wild.

Anonymous said...

i am doing a project agaist zoos and i think it is stupid to protect the animals, we should just let nature take its corse everything happens for a reason. but zoos are fun so i dont know !

Anonymous said...

i think zoo are really cruel. in some zoos in america they leave animals to lie in there own crap... it is toatly unacceptable... i hate zoos, i hate zoos, i hate zoos....

blog stats