Blogging About Critters Since 2007

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Are Women More Compassionate Than Men?

It's an intriguing question that would probably get quite a response at any dinner party.

Frankly, I don't know. All I know is that the majority of vegetarians, ex-vegetarians, animal rights supporters, animal rescuers, animal shelter volunteers, and feral cat colony stewards that I know are women. Not all, but the majority. And I find that in conversations, women are more likely to listen and think about what I say than men, who often brush me off as an emotional female. That doesn't mean that I don't know thoughtful men who think about these issues, just that I've noticed the tendencies are definitely lopsided.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Ana,

I don't know either.

If anything, I would agree with your observation that on average women probably tend to be the more compassionate of the two sexes. That said it depends more on the individual the gender, and there will always be some members of both sexes who are compassionate and some who aren't.

I do think that men are less inclined to show emotion than women, perhaps due to stereotypes about how men 'should' act.

blog stats