Blogging About Critters Since 2007

Monday, June 30, 2008

Tesco Shareholders Don't Back Improved Welfare Standards

It's too bad the vote failed, but I'm really excited about this article. I hadn't really thought about shareholder activism on animal welfare issues. I don't know why not...shareholders do things on other issues like human rights, corporate ethics, and environmental protection.

We are not big stock owners because most of our investments are in mutual funds. But I'm embarrassed to say that I don't really even know WHAT I own in those funds. Who or what exactly am I supporting?

Anyway, here's the article.
TV cook Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall was leading the charge. He wanted investors to adopt new standards for rearing birds, but the plan got fewer than 10% of votes at its annual general meeting.

It's a start though.

No comments:

blog stats