Blogging About Critters Since 2007

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Tales from the Animal Rights Trenches 1.3

I've been completing a Cost Accounting class and haven't had much time for blogging. Thanks to Mr. Barky for picking up the slack.

On some days when I could have blogged, I discovered that I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I just couldn't bring myself to look for a story about animals. The prospect was just too depressing at that moment.

Now, I know that I could just post something happy or maybe a cute picture. But then I feel like that just doesn't seem *substantive* enough. And if I did that every time I didn't want to post about animals, we might as well have a slide show of hamster pictures.

There aren't that many blogs by private citizens about animal issues. Most of the blogs are by large organizations and their paid staff. It's tough to do this on a volunteer basis because the subject matter is so intense. You don't realize how much bad news is out there until you actually start looking for it. It's all over the place, although you may not see it in your particular news outlet.

This is a whiny post I suppose, but it's not meant to be. It was just an observation about myself and also a real eye-opener about those people who actually work on these issues every day in their jobs. If I get depressed from just reading the news each day, I really have to admire the people who live with it and work on it every day.

No comments:

blog stats