Blogging About Critters Since 2007

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Personal Philosophy and Animal Rights

For a long time, I've thought that the route to animal rights lay along proving to humans that such a cause is in their best interests. Improving animal rights would lead to an improvement in human safety and health. In fact, it would be good for the world economy, the environment, everything, yadda, yadda.

I've been taking a class in Business Ethics and it has really had an impact on my thinking. I don't think you can ultimately "sell" animal rights, particularly to a species that is so short-sighted anyway. It's not a matter of economics, politics or health. It's really a matter of personal philosophy. Animals should be protected and respected because it's the RIGHT thing to do, not just when it's expedient. People already have some ethics, but they have not included animals in them yet. Once they do, then you don't have to "sell" the idea.

And it really does start with children. I get very cynical about classroom speakers teaching about caring for animals, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there is a long-term impact that I just don't see because I don't have (or want!) children of my own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Firstly, good for you not wanting any children..... adoption is always an option - and there are so many needy kids out there already....

The other comment concerns:
"It's really a matter of personal philosophy. Animals should be protected and respected because it's the RIGHT thing to do, not just when it's expedient." I think you're right - but using and abusing animals has become so institutionalized and profitable -people will justify nearly anything when it comes to making money.... Hang in there - the tide will turn sooner or later -
Go Vegan!

blog stats