Blogging About Critters Since 2007

Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Contradictions of China and Japan

It's strange how much I really hate China. When I think of China, I think of animal abuse, human abuse, environmental degradation, religious intolerance, greed, authoritarianism, brutality...and the list goes on and on.

And yet, I love Taoism and Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching. I've studied Chen Tai Chi for the past five years and really appreciate the philosophy behind this martial art. I'm also influenced by Buddhist thought which melded with Taoism and have tried for many years to develop my own meditation practice.

And yet....I really hate China.

The contradiction drives me crazy. Where is this gentleness and love of nature and balance? A friend of mine says that is Old China and we're now talking about New China. I don't know enough to say, except that I get very confused sometimes.

I have to say the same thing about Japan...although my anger is more focused on whaling and other marine issues. My yoga teacher is Japanese and she seems so in tune with the world and nature....what would she say to whaling though (I'm NOT asking!)

2 comments:

Louis Lai (諸羅山人) said...

You are free to hate anybody, any country, but the accusations are baseless bias. You are telling me you don't know anything about China. These are basically cheap shots. You have gotten too much propaganda from the media without thinking, without fact checking of our own.

By the way, I hate animals. I think they belong to the wild or the zoos.

Anonymous said...

So Timbercreek Hideout is an animal hater? How surprising...Nooo! Just another tired, old example of animal hater's defense in the torture, maiming and exploitation of animals on any continent. China and most Asian countries happen to be monsters in the area of animal cruelty, and one doesn't have to look hard to find documented evidence. Electrocution, hangings, stabbing, skinning alive of living breathing creatures, EATING them to boot - They can keep their stupid religions/cultures - doesn't seem to be of any benefit to their brutality impulses. Western Religions fare little better - spouting love and compassion in the pulpits, but showing no mercy for the billions of animals used as things for profit or fame in industrial and institutional (legalized) animal abusive enterprises.
Sorry, I don't have a Blogger Name so I will have to sign in as Anonymous, or Anoying to Timbercreek or any other animal exploitor/hater.

blog stats