Blogging About Critters Since 2007

Monday, May 4, 2009

Koreans Clone Glow-in-Dark Beagles

Add it to the stupid files!

I am no supporter of cloning or messing with genes. And I'm certainly no fan of making a living thing "glow-in-dark." What next? Tutti-fruity-flavored cows?

From Huffington Post....

South Korean scientists say they have engineered four beagles that glow red using cloning techniques that could help develop cures for human diseases. The four dogs, all named "Ruppy" _ a combination of the words "ruby" and "puppy" _ look like typical beagles by daylight.

But they glow red under ultraviolet light, and the dogs' nails and abdomens, which have thin skins, look red even to the naked eye.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Hi Ana,

I must say that I cannot really understand the purpose behind all this.

I can certainly understand the concept of cloning for genuine scientific purposes, but cloning for the purpose of merely glowing red - I can't understand why they would bother.

blog stats